WY Academic Adventure
Ages 11 – 18, 18 Days
WY Academic Adventure Highlights:
- All of SOAR’s Eagle View Ranch adventures are 18 days in length and offer all of the excitement that the Wild West has to offer!
- The differentiating aspect of WY Academic Adventure is the classroom experience, which is designed to help prevent summer “learning loss” (in either Language Arts or Math) while providing instruction in study skills and organizational strategies. Interspersed throughout the course are about 6 three-hour sessions of academic instruction. On “school days” campers will also spend half of their day participating in nearby activities, including fishing, riflery, hatchet throwing and archery.
- The first off-base expedition takes the group to Yellowstone National Park, where campers will discover the incredible hydrothermal features, including mudpots and geysers, of America’s First National Park. They will also visit the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center, where they will learn all about the park’s amazing wildlife, including bears, elk, moose, wolves, and bison.
- The next big adventure will take the teams to Sinks Canyon State Park, where they experience the thrill of rock climbing and exploration of the Popo Agie River (which vanishes underground before returning to the surface a few miles downstream).
- The group returns to base to participate in Horse School, where they learn how to care for and communicate with their horse, and will practice western riding skills before they depart on trail rides in the nearby Warm Springs Canyon.
- Other Wild West adventures on this course include a day of whitewater rafting on the Snake River and a visit to the Dubois Rodeo!
- The course concludes with a day of camp-wide “Cowboy Contests” in which campers get to work together to showcase their newfound skills!
My Camp Experience
"The entire process was a wonderful experience for Nathan and for us as a family. The staff was very supportive, especially regarding Nathan's multiple food allergies. They really went out of there way to find and provide foods that he enjoys. I have NEVER heard Nathan talk about any activity as much-and in as much detail-as he has about SOAR. For someone who is a "man of few words," that speaks volumes about your program."