Welcome and thank you for your interest in SOAR! You have accessed this site because you are interested in camp jobs with SOAR! For 40 years, SOAR has been offering success-oriented opportunities for youth who need it most.
WHO ARE WE?
SOAR is a private, non-profit outdoor adventure program for youth with ADHD and other Learning Disabilities. Participants range in age from 8-25. Most are high functioning, very intelligent, and struggle with issues such as impulsivity, disorganization, inattention, poor social skills, etc. Some students may occasionally come with additional diagnoses such as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Aspergers, or Pervasive Developmental Disorder, among others.
- We offer 10 – 26 day outdoor adventure courses in NC, WY, FL, and CA through SOAR’s Summer Camp. If hired, you would be initially slated for one of these primary course areas, but you could potentially be asked to work on any course in any area. We conduct activities such as backpacking, rock climbing, rafting, horseback riding, kayaking, etc., most of which involves camping with the students off-base for the majority of the course. SOAR is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA).
- This job involves being paired with a co-staff and supervising a group of up to 8 students for the entire length of the course (24/7) with an average of two full days off every two weeks and one evening off per course. Most courses are co-ed, although we will have single-sex teams as enrollment allows.
- You would be helping lead the students through outdoor activities but more importantly you would be helping the students work on personal growth goals that you helped them set for themselves. These goals typically address common ADHD/LD challenges such as disorganization, poor social skills, impulsive behavior, etc.
- At the end of each course, staff will write an evaluation on each student that highlights their areas of strength and details their progress toward their three personal goals.
- You don’t need to be an expert in the outdoors, but you should be comfortable with extended periods in an outdoor environment in all types of conditions. We also expect the highest level of professionalism and integrity from our staff.
- Building self-confidence and self-esteem in youth diagnosed with ADHD and other Learning Disabilities can be extremely challenging, and this most likely might be the toughest camp job you have ever had, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Are you ready for the challenge and the reward?!?
Summer Position Descriptions:
Other Available Positions at SOAR:
Seasonal Administrative Support Position
- We are looking to hire an administrative assistant at our Balsam, NC and Dubois, WY locations. Contact our office for more information.
There are so many benefits to working at SOAR. Here are but a few:
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of exceptional children
- The leadership and supervision of seasoned professionals in the field
- Insightful, written feedback to guide your own growth and development
- Internship opportunities and potential college credit
- Working in beautiful, outdoor settings
- An extensive and comprehensive two-week staff training
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR Certification opportunities
- Lifeguard Certification opportunities
- Meals and lodging (except personal tentage) during work and time off
- The opportunity to offer feedback and help with program assessment
“The first summer I worked for SOAR was among the best in my entire life. Each day was an incredible experience; I woke up in magnificent places, shared my days with remarkable and unique children, participated in fantastic adventure activities, and laughed so hard that sometimes it was hard to breathe. The best part…it was MY JOB to appreciate and value these amazing students and have fun! It is just about the healthiest way to spend the summer as I could ever imagine.” BB
“Before coming to SOAR, I didn’t have an understanding of either the challenges or the gifts that LD and ADHD can bring to a child’s life. Now I feel like I can see the strengths within every individual regardless of their life situation. And I learned about the strengths within myself as well!” LP
“Working at SOAR is not a job to me, it is a lifestyle. Being an adventurous people person, there is no lifestyle I would rather live than that as a SOAR employee. I am not in the business of making money but in the business of changing lives.” LW
“More than anything, the one thing that keeps me coming back to work at SOAR is seeing how proud the kids become of themselves when they achieve things they never thought were possible.” CM
“SOAR has meant so much to me personally and professionally. As challenging as the job can be, I truly enjoy being a part of enriching the lives of the youth we serve and the atmosphere that comes with this growth. Spending time in the outdoors is also a plus!” CT
“It is truly rare to find a job where you can invest one-hundred percent of yourself in the lives of the others around you. At SOAR you have that opportunity. Not only do you invest your time and energy in the lives of the exceptional youth we serve you also invest in the other staff that serve alongside with you. You give more of yourself than at most any other job, and on the flip side you receive so much more. The rewarding feeling is worth every minute you spend.” JN
Questions? Contact Laura Pate at email@example.com or 828-456-3435.